Your web-browser is very outdated, and as such, this website may not display properly. Please consider upgrading to a modern, faster and more secure browser. Click here to do so.
And NO this isn’t a hate message, just a bit of advice from a fellow Supernatural fan.
I honest to Godstiel DO NOT CARE what ANYONE ships, and therefore my personal preferences do not play a role in this post. This is the perspective of a fan that has witnessed some of the most awful behavior from fans that ship either Destiel or Wincest (and no I’m not trying to put the blame on each fandom in general, just the people that go overboard).
- For starters I find it funny that one of the participating actors in a fandom’s ship has specifically stated that his character is straight, the character having said-so in the series, and people still want to declare that he’s (canon) bisexual. I’d like to think that the actor knows his character better than the ship fandom in question considering he actually PLAYS the character, puts his own personal effort into it, and is more involved with said character than any fan will ever be. Jensen even has a say-so in his character, the actors are allowed to offer advice on what they think their character should be like. It’s kind of rude to shove that theory down other people’s throats and scream “BUT HE IS!” even after an official member of the show, that is involved in guiding how the show evolves, has stated that it’s not going to happen.
- Jensen has SPECIFICALLY STATED that he’s not into doing any kind of gay scenes AT ALL. That means that it’ll never happen, nada, not a chance, and there’s NOTHING wrong with that. It doesn’t matter if Misha is into it or not, if it’s not a mutual “courtship” for doing the scene IT’S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. You shouldn’t try to “convert” someone into being what their not just to satisfy your personal desires. You should respect their wishes, just like you would want someone to respect yours. If Jensen isn’t into it, the writers aren’t going to force him. They try to and I’m sure Jensen will leave the show, or at the very least fight back, and if he DOES leave the show, there goes Dean and 78513 reasons why I will be SUPER PISSED. Besides I can’t imagine the writers would try to force him, they respect him too much to even try.
- Wincest/J2-shippers, I understand where you’re coming from, I really do (even though I’m not into it myself), but there are some of you that need to chill the fuck out. Wincest shippers don’t seem to have gone off the deep end as much as some of the Destiel shippers that I’ve seen (not simply in regards to overanalyzing certain things, I’m also talking about all the Sam hate), but there are a few of you that are so certain that J2 are in love that you spew out hate at their wives. NOT COOL. Hating on their spouses isn’t going to make your ship canon, and some of the reasons “why” for the hate are the dumbest I’ve ever seen.
- Hating on their wives in general is ridiculous, hating on their families in general is just ridiculous. There are people that actually think Misha’s wife is ugly (some think Gen is ugly too), and I’m not saying that any Destiel/Cockles shippers are involved but I have to wonder if the hate on Vicki is the same kind of hate that some Wincest/J2 shippers spew out because they think the actors are in love with each other and the wives are cockblocking them. Jensen and Jared are just friends, spiritual brothers even, Jim Beaver even posted a tweet saying “fiction isn’t reality” in regards to Wincest, and considering that Jensen is married to a woman and isn’t into doing gay scenes I’m assuming he’s straight in real life and isn’t secretly in love with Misha. So all this hate on their wives for something that isn’t even REAL is just stupid.
- All this “Jensen must be homophobic” bullshit is unacceptable, just because he’s not into doing any gay scenes doesn’t make him homophobic. I find it funny that the LGBT community has fought so hard against discrimination against them for being either gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender and now those SAME PEOPLE are turning it around and discriminating against other people for being straight. If Jensen isn’t into it that doesn’t mean he’s anti-LGBT, he’s just not up for kissing another man, and THAT’S FINE. I’d hate to think that the LGBT community has come so far only to end up acting like the very same people that abused their civil rights. Jensen shouldn’t have to make out with a guy to prove he’s not homophobic, he doesn’t have to prove ANYTHING to ANY of you. You don’t get to dictate what he does, it’s HIS life, let him live it.
Once again, this isn’t a hate post, but all of this needed to be said. Ship what you want, I don’t care, the cast/crew doesn’t care, but don’t shove it down other people’s throats, and don’t use it as an excuse to act like complete assholes.
Shoutout to all of the Destiel/Wincest shippers that don’t participate in any of the above bullshit, you guys are amazing and I salute you for being respectable fans, thank you all! <3
You have valid points indeed, but I want to say that I’m preeeeetty sure it’s not the LGBT community being assholes to Jensen. It’s just some asshole fans, all of whom seem to be straight, and as far as I’ve seen, Destiel shippers. (And people who are jerks and hate on Jensen for that shit are just that, jerks, but they’re not discriminating against him for being straight. XD That’s not a thing that happens pretty much ever. They’re still assholes though, hah.) But yeah, Jensen not wanting to kiss a dude doesn’t make him homophobic at all. :P That’s just him not being into dudes. And he’s an actor, but actors have every right to set their limits on what they are and aren’t willing to do.
Also, Wincest and J2 shippers aren’t interchangeable. Some ship one and some ship both, but not everyone ships ‘em both.
I agree with this 10000000%. I’ve gone off on rants about shippers and shipping in general in the past, and I’m sure I’ll do it again in the future, but for now this post pretty much sums up my feelings on the whole thing.
The only thing I would add is that I would like for all the shippers to grow a pair and admit that the reason they ship it is because they want to see two hot guys getting it on, end of story. And don’t give me any bullshit about how it’s about their bond, or their love for each other that’s the reason behind it. If that were the case, then more of these shippers would be happy with the platonic relationship and stop trying to get them in bed together.
Destiel is not, nor will it ever be, canon, period. Grow up, accept it and move on.
haley’s anon got me thinking.
I wonder if the ageist teens on here realise that the “old people” they think are creepy for being fangirls are larger in number than they suspect. I mean, I’m 30, and I’m a raging fangirl in all the good ways and I love it. I have fangirl friends from 16 to 46 and in fangirling we are all on the same level. most, if not all, of us read fanfic. quite a few of my “older” fellow fans write it - and do it almost freakishly well.
in fact, that really good longfic you read that had not only great characterisation but also really lovely, believable sex scenes and a language that flowed really well? odds are that it wasn’t written by a 16-year-old. some great fics are, but I know for sure that in my top ten longfics of all time? maybe one or two was written by someone under 20. half were written by people over or close to 30.
some of the people you fangirl with on a daily basis have husbands, wives, children, jobs and all that other “grown up stuff” you imagine we should be spending our time on instead of flailing about the colour of jensen’s eyes or the perfect shape of jared’s booty. but if you are one of the teens who thinks that “old people” fangirling is gross and creepy, I pity you. because it means you equate getting older with losing enjoyment in the things you love.
I fangirl because it brings me good things. because it’s an escape. because I have a creative outlet. because there are people here who are like me. because it’s just great fun, really. if you think age is in any way relevant in that conversation, you are wrong.
"old" fangirls, out yourself! flaunt your age!
I’ll totally out myself here. I’m 44 years old and such a Jensen fangirl that it’s annoying to my non-SPN friends. :) My first fangirl love was Wolverine…not Hugh Jackman (though I adore his portrayal of the character!), but the comic character, back in the late 70s-early 80s. Didn’t think anyone would ever take his place, but as soon as Dean said “Whoa, easy tiger!”, I was lost. :)
Age has nothing to do with fandom. I love Supernatural and J2, and if some tumblr users think that’s creepy, that’s their problem, not mine. I have better things to worry about than whether or not some ageist douchebag is disgusted by my fangirling.
Hi, my name is Cindi and I’m an “old” fangirl! :)
Page 1 of 121